Thursday, November 1, 2007

OB Department Visit

On Sunday October 28th I was having some cramping that was extremely uncomfortable and contractions as well. I called the OB Department at the hospital to ask them about the cramping because it was extremely uncomfortable and I was having a hard time just sitting still in a chair. I had also been having contractions on and off since last Thursday. The nurse told me to come in and see if I was in labor and to make sure I would get started on the antibiotics for the group B strep.

I drove myself to the hospital because it was almost ten o' clock at night and I wanted Josh and Cristian to get some sleep in case this was just a false alarm. The nurse had me change into a gown and I had to give a urine sample. Then she hooked me up to the machine they use for monitoring the baby's movements, heartbeat, and my contractions.

I was there until almost midnight. I was having irregular contractions which were about 2 to 10 minutes apart and I was still only dilated 1 cm and had not begun to efface. She said the baby's heartbeat was great and everything looked wonderful. She called the doctor to ask about running the urine sample which they ended up doing.

Apparently my bladder infection came back and that was what was causing the pain in my back and abdomen. The doctor was hoping that it was only the bladder infection and it had not spread to my kidneys because of the discomfort so they started me on antibiotics that night and called in the prescription for me to pick up in the morning when the pharmacy opened.

No comments: